Thursday, October 21, 2021

the operation

I had surgery in December 2019. It was way easier than I thought it was going to be. Full disclosure - It was a vasectomy and I was relatively nervous about the procedure. A co-worked told me that it was really painful and one of the worst experiences of his life. Considering the nature of the operation, yeah, that had me a little worried. Long story short, it was a breeze - fast and pretty painless. You should definitely get one before you do something that I'll regret.

One thing that also stuck with me, after almost two years, and probably will for the rest of my life, is the short conversation between the two doctors performing the procedure.

The whole thing took about 45 minutes from the minute I got into the operating room to the minute I pulled up my pants and slowly limped out the exit. The docs started off pretty pro, a little small talk about the weather to kick things off, then telling me how the procedure would go, getting me comfortable on the bed, and then getting right to work. I put my headphones in right away, only pausing the tunes when I would see what looked like a focused or serious look in their faces. 

About five minutes in, I could tell something was on the mind of one of the doctors. He'd look up inquisitively at the other doctor and his mouth would almost form a word, as if he wanted to say something. Then he'd shake his head once or twice and look back down. This happened about three times.

Finally the other doctor noticed.

Older Doctor (D1): "What's on your mind?"

Younger Doctor (D2): "Oh nothing"

D1: "C'mon, let's get this done and then get outta here. Spit it out, question about what I'm doing?"

D2: "No, it's stupid" with a short, nervous chuckle

D2: "It's just that, how...no, let's keep going"

D1: "It's just that what?" 

D2: "I don't know, I'm just trying to understand"

D1: "Understand what?"

D2: "Well, it's just like, like, how do you think he holds that thing with just two hands? Jesus."

No comments: