Friday, September 27, 2013

the hunger games

You seen it? I seen it. Actually, I only half seen it, cause we're about halfway through, so I have no idea how it ends.

A couple years ago, it seemed to have received a lot of hype. Knowing it was based on a book and seeing it's relatively high level of popularity, I just figured it was another Twilight sequel. Not sure how exactly I made those connections, but they were made. So deal.

Anyway, Heckyeahwoman and I popped the Netflix'd dvd in the player and began our Hunger Games mission. What follows are a couple of my in-eloquent thoughts on being roughly halfway through the movie.

1. It's pretty entertaining and compelling. The dystopian future, the vaccuous masses of Hunger Games fans (for which the movie is named), and the caricature-like hosts of the Games paint a bleak picture of our intellectual fate. First thing I thought of was the NFL...on steroids.

2. The plot is a little unsettling for me. The kids killing kids thing. Also, the mid-twentysomethings playing kids. Throughout the entire movie, the premise put just a little bit of a knot in my belly. I know there are like 24 contestants, and probably 23 of them are going to die. Now don't take me for some people-loving nice guy. No, I hate homeless people and criminals just as much as you. It's just a little unsettling.

3.  Heckyeahwoman is fiiiiiiiiiiine. I kept looking over at her thinking, DAAAAAAMMMMMMNNNN WHOOOO DAT. That happens almost every movie though. #would

4. There is a sequel. I have no idea about it, but that means that the original must have done well enough at the box office for the producers to fire up HG2. Wonder if the next year's Hunger Games will be the plot for the second one.

No comments: