Friday, July 29, 2011

food carts

Just read this article that spurred this very post. Hover that hyperlink, friends and check where the article is from: yeah, MSN ftw, folks.

We have food carts in Ann Arbor. In fact, a space just off downtown was delegated to house these semi-mobile eateries.

And while the food was really tasty, the one time I went, I felt really ripped off. I paid $10 for a can of soda (I rarely drink soda) and what amounted to 4 chicken wings worth of food. Oh, and 3 mushrooms. If you can do the math, that's over $1 per item!

Seriously.

With the recession, how can those assholes justify destroying the working class like that? I guess if you're deathly skinny, wearing horn rimmed glasses, plaster the word "vegan" all over your cart and are wearing a tight plaid shirt in 80 degree heat, you can justify just about anything, however crazy.

But that's beside the point. I don't really care whether my food comes from a kitchen that has wheels or not. I don't even care if some hipster vegan turd is making it. All I really care about is if it's delicious and reasonably priced. And if you washed your fucking hands before touching my fucking food. Holy shit I hate non-hand washers.

Predictably, like most things, people are going to complain, and food on wheels is no different.

Not surprisingly, one of the most vocal opponents to rolling restaurants are other restauranteurs. I can understand wanting to cut down on competition in your area of business - that makes total sense. But some localities are being pressured to pass legislation...uh, legislating things. Which is fine, you gotta have some rules to keep things all sanitary and stuff.

But thoughtlessly limiting competition?

Like, you can't have a food cart within 50 feet of an existing eatery. What about other restaurants? Right next door? Beside the fact competition generally makes things better, that sounds like a form of restaurant racism to me. If you're a brick and mortar store, you can chill; but if you've got wheels, you gotta GTFO.

It's not the poor food cart's fault it was born with wheels.

One restaurant owner, while appealing to the raw power of sound logic, is saying that food carts are unfair! And we hate things that are unfair!

It gets better; apparently they're (the food carts) unfair because a food cart has lower overhead costs to operate. Damn those people and their more thought-through business models!

Instead of whining about other people being better at business than you, why not take advantage of the lower overhead and cost of entry and get your own food cart! Why not seize the opportunity to make your food mobile and bring it to parts of your city that may not be familiar with your fare?

Nah, but then there'd be nothing to complain about it, and like my main man Kurt "where's the rest of my head" Cobain said, "I miss the comfort of being sad".

:(

No comments: