Monday, September 20, 2010

sketchy advertising

Being so close to Detroit, we catch various ripples of things splashing there. What I mean is, we get a lot of Detroit radio stations, but mostly we get a lot of marketing aimed at the Detroit market.

For instance, the other day I saw a commercial for some lawyer, featuring William Shatner.

Don't believe me?



Yep, it's true.

Anyway, there's no arguing that law firm commercials are some of the worst.

Like this one I saw the other day - it starts off with some asshole in a suit saying, "let me give you the best piece of advice I can".

Not gonna lie, I was totally nomming on a salami sandwhich, but that caught my attention.

"ADVICE?!? ABOUT WHAT?!?! I NEED ADVICE!", I yelled at the cat. She just purred and flopped around on the couch.

Not the answer I was looking for.

Through divine intervention, my attention was summoned forth back to the television. He started listing off a bunch of misdemeanor crimes, and punctuated it with his best advice ever: Don't call any other law firm for any of those services, call us".

That was it. This guy was probably 60 years old, has clearly had plenty of time to think of the best advice ever, and that's the best he can come up with?

"Don't call my competitors, call me"

I'm pretty sure the point of every advertisement ever is "buy what what we sell". "Don't go to a more established law firm with less-sketchy commercials, come to us."

That's his A-game, when it comes to advice. Imagine his A-game in the courtroom. Damn, I wish I could remember what law firm it was.

No comments: