Thursday, December 31, 2009

top 10 of 2009

Oh hey, check it out, it's my top 10 albums of 2009!

10. Dear Landlord - Dream Homes

Hell, I just wanted to have some pop-punk on my list. Certainly doesn't hurt that this album is awesome. It's just so catchy and fun. Not a lot needs to be said, but if you like Screeching Weasel as much as I do, you'll probably like this. And you know what else? It feels good to a have a release from local record label, No Idea, in my top 10.

9. Poison the Well - The Tropic Rot

I had never really listened to this band until recently, even though many would consider them to be among the most influential "metalcore" bands. The few tidbits I had heard never really stuck with me. For some reason though, this last week of December, I decided to check them out. Luckily, I started with this album, and it's pretty awesome. Due to the fact that I haven't spent much time with this album, it's rated kind of low.

8. Trapped Under Ice - Secrets of the World

I love tough hardcore, but you probably don't. If you're looking for modern, hard, hardcore, Trapped Under Ice do it better than most.

7. Gorod - Process of Decline

This album deserves a place on any top ten list based on the first couple songs alone. Remember in 2003 and 2004 when it was in vogue for inbred hillbillies to refer to french fries as "freedom fries"? Remember that shit? Well these frenchmen are here to let you know that, fuck yeah, the French aren't fucking around. Between these guys, Benighted, and Kronos, the French have got a lock on awesome death metal.

6. Agoraphobic Nosebleed - Agorpocalypse

Opting for a more accessible (?), thrashy, and slightly more hardcore sound on this one, ANb decided to write actual songs. Awesome riffs, awesome vocals, fucked up lyrics, and an overall fucked up aesthetic all add up to make this a great album.

5. David Moore - My Lover, My Stranger

Long story short: Chamberlain breaks up, fantastically talented lead singer fucks around for years with a solo album, and finally it's released. The result? An amazing vocalist/songwriter sings over music that reminds me of VH1 adult contemporary. This guy could sing over me splattering the porcelain with the warm, brown stuff, and it would still be awesome. This is really the only album on this list that I would recommend to you non punk rock/hardcore/metal readers.

4. Every Time I Die - New Junk Aesthetic

I love this album. It's fast, it's catchy, it's just great. And to think, I haven't paid much attention to these guys since Hot Damn!, I'm definitely gonna go back and check out the last couple releases. Whenever Wanderlust comes on, yeah, I'll be that asshole singing along every time.

3. Strung Out - Prototypes & Painkillers

OK, the only reason this wasn't number 2 is because the album that came in at number 2 was just so goddamn awesome. Being that this is a compilation of unreleased tracks, there are a couple of older stinkers on this one. Songs like Pleather, Novella, and Novacaine make up for any missteps the band took when they were just starting out.

2. Boxcutter - The Ill Testament

I don't know many people that like this band. I don't care, I love any totally thugged out hardcore. And for my money, Boxcutter does it better than anyone. Featuring members of Wisdom in Chains, Fury of V (!!!), Krutch, and Mushmouth, this is truly a hardcore supergroup of only the hardest. Easily the toughest cd in my collection, songs like "History Lesson Part 1" are hard as hell. This album makes me want to walk around downtown with my sword, or my .357 magnum.

1. Strung Out - Agents of the Underground

I guarantee you, for the rest of my life, as long as Strung Out releases an album, it'll be number one on my list. I find it to overall be a stronger effort than BOLA, but something about it just feels kind of thrown together. It may be because I wasn't aware of the album's release until just a month before it dropped. Usually I know 6 months in advance of a new Strung Out album. To me, the strongest songs on BOLA are a little better than the strongest songs on AotU; but I think there are more better songs on AotU. Does that make sense? Fuck you. About the only thing better than this album are big huge titties all up in my face. For all time. YOU READ THAT, HECKYEAHWOMAN!?!?!?!

Honorable Mentions - Napalm Death - Time Waits For No Slave; Blakroc - Blackroc. Truth is, I just totally forgot about these when I was doing the list.

And yes, I realize I left Coalesce and Converge off. Bottom line, I just didn't listen to those albums very much.

Best albums I snoozed on last year: Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works; Vampire Weekend - S/T

Don't like my list? What's your list? Post your gay list in the comments. Even better, think your list is that much better than mine? Email it to heckyeahman@gmail.com, and I'll dedicate an entire post to your shitty taste in music, twink.

Everybody have a safe and awesome New Years Eve!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1.dragonforce
2.dragonforce
3. Dragonforce
4.dragonforce
5.dragonforce
6.dragonforce
7.dragonforce
8.dragonforce
9.dragonforce
10.sawtooth